AAE3452: AGRICULTURAL EXTENSION [45 LH]
PURPOSE OF THE COURSE
To impart the learner with knowledge and soft skills necessary to make them effective change agents in agrarian society
EXPECTED LEARNING OUTCOMES
By the end of the course the learner should be able to:-
- Describe the basic concept of agricultural extension and communication
- Explain the principles of extension and structures of extension service
- Critique the extension approaches and their applications
- Discuss leadership development, gender issues and adult education in extension
- Evaluate the policy issues in agricultural extension services
- Develop innovative ideas of extension for development.
Meaning and purpose of extension education; developments of agricultural extension in Kenya; philosophical and social foundations; agricultural organizations and systems; agriculture as a business; agricultural development and agricultural extension; context of extension; role of extension in rural and national development; principles of extension; approaches of extension; methods of agricultural extension; farmer involvement; participatory extension; agricultural extension policy; issues in agricultural extension; role of NGOs in extension; gender; ICT and agricultural extension; issues in agricultural extension.