INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON CLINICAL & HEALTH RESEARCH AND WRITING RESEARCH GRANT APPLICATIONS
THURSDAY, 23RD FEBRUARY, 2017 &
FRIDAY, 24TH FEBRUARY, 2017
Meru University of Science and Technology (MUST), in collaboration with the University of Michigan (USA), Consolata Hospital (Nkubu) and Eastern Community Medical Consultants Clinic Limited (Meru) organized an Inaugural Conference on Clinical and Health Research and Writing of Research Grant Applications between Thursday, 23rd February, 2017 and Friday, 24th February, 2017 which was a hands-on training. The design of different types of Clinical trials was emphasized and their respective procedures and analysis explained. In addition, writing of research grant applications which is a competitive process was also dealt with at this conference.
Clinical Research Methods & Writing Research Grant Applications
This course provided a foundation in knowledge and skills necessary for healthcare professionals to perform investigator-initiated clinical research. Techniques of literature searching and critical review of the scientific literature served as a skill foundation for evaluating the current state of research questions. The concept of clinical research, including its scope and fundamental research designs was covered in detail. Participants learnt to choose the most appropriate study design for various types of research questions. Participants learnt to design appropriate clinical research methodology, including appropriate sample size, power, variables, outcome measures and potential pitfalls. Proper interpretation of findings and applicability (external validity) was emphasized. Ethical issues in the design and conduct of clinical research including informed consent, protection of human subjects, and legal compliance were addressed. Sponsored clinical research was reviewed in detail, with attention to project management, planning and budgeting.
Workshop Objectives/Participant Learning Outcomes
- Understand the scope of clinical research and clinical trials.
- Identify clinical research questions and appropriate methodology.
- Understand the most important ethical issues in clinical research.
- Understand the Institutional Review Board process.
- Identify methods for seeking funding sources.
- Improve grant writing skills.
- Understand the special considerations involved in conducting international research.
- Understand how to manage research projects and grants.
The Conference was composed of an introductory lecture followed by hands-on group work, exercises, and problem solving.
- Meru University of Science and Technology (MUST)
- University of Michigan
- Consolata Hospital, Nkubu
- Eastern Community Medical Consultants Clinic
- University of Kabianga
- University of Embu
- Kenya Methodist University
- Umma University
- Kenya University
- Moi University
- Kirinyaga University
- Meru Level V Hospital
- Meru County Government