SMF3111: MATHEMATICS [45 LH]
PURPOSE OF THE COURSE
To enable learners appreciate the language of mathematics through algebra and trigonometry, and relate their applications in agriculture.
EXPECTED LEARNING OUTCOMES
By the end of the course the learner should be able to:-
- Solve problems involving linear and quadratic equations.
- Define and apply sequences and series.
- Perform various operations with matrices and use matrices to solve simultaneous equations.
- Apply the sine and cosine formula in solution of triangles.
- Calculate area of oblique triangles.
- Relate functions using trigonometric identities.
Algebraic expressions and equations. Linear functions and equations. Quadratic functions and equations. Remainder theorem and its applications to solutions of factorisable polynomial equations. Surds, Logarithms and indices. Permutations and combinations. Sequences and Series: finite, infinite, arithmetic, geometric and binomial (positive integral index only) including applications to compound interest, approximations, growth and decay.
Matrices: definition, operations, associated determinant, inverse and application to solution of linear simultaneous equations in two unknowns.
Trigonometry: trigonometric functions including their graphs and inverses in degree and radian measure. Sine and cosine formulae. Area formulae. Addition, Multiple angle and factor formulae.