Meru University Health Club is one of the best clubs in the university. It accommodates students from across all the programs offered in the University. Its operations are geared by the:
To enlighten and promote health programs through inter-sectoral collaboration.
To create a holistic society that is responsible and sensitive to health in line with the Vision 2030.
- To bring together members directly or indirectly related to the university with a common goal of promoting health.
- To enlighten members on their roles in the community in relation to the health and other social and cultural activities that affect them.
- To propel the school and community towards achieving higher health standards.
- To enlighten members of the public on all that pertains health, good hygiene and environmental care.
- Health promotion and prevention of common diseases.
- Creating a forum in which health students can channel their issues and concerns to the administration.
- To fight the HIV/AIDS epidemic and promote sensible sexual behavior and reproductive health.
ACHIEVEMENTS OF THE CLUB
In the recent past, the club has carried out the following activities empowering the University and neighbouring community:
This was basically done within the university, that is, in the university premises and outside the university
A medical camp was held in the university on 13th and 14th October 2016. This was facilitated by a partnership of the Health Club, Ripples and Marie-stopes-Meru branch which are healthcare organizations providing reproductive health services. The following outlined activities were offered during the media offered during the medical camp;
- HIV TESTING AND COUNSELLING
- FAMILY PLANNING
- CANCER SCREENING(Cervical and Breast)
Some of the outreach activities so far carried out by the club include;
We paid a visit to the following children homes; ALAKARA in Isiolo County, Jawa in Nkubu Meru county and Marimba children home.
Health talks which we believe they have been of great importance were mostly carried out on Wednesdays whereby different choosen topics have been handled by various speakers.
The photos above(A,B andC) were taken during an Environmental clean up day which was held in partnership with Kenya Redcross Meru branch on 8th May 2019.
The above photos were taken during a community outreach in ALAKARA Children Home in Isiolo County.
The club Patron Madam Carolyne Karani(far right), guest speaker Dr. Muriungi from Miathene district Hospital and associates members of the club Mr. Patrick Mutharia and Mr. Zakayo Mwangi.
The above two photos(A and B) displayed are of club members participating and taking notes during the health talk on TB diagnosis, prevention and control.
We have a list of the following underlisted events and activities which we intend to cover as a club in the next couple of months.
- Humanity walk in partnership with the Kenya Redcross Meru Branch on 25th May 2019.
- Medical Camp in partnership with Ripples International and Marie-stopes which are health care organizations and the Meru County Government.
- Blood Drive in collaboration with Meru University of Science and Technology and the Meru University Health Club.
- Health talks and debates.
- Community outreach programmes (health promotion, visiting children homes)
- Clean up (within and outside the university premises)
We therefore request students and members of staff, as many as possible, to make the effort and join the Club for the success of its operations. May God bless MUST and MUHEC.