Extension of Work From Home And Virtual Learning
The Vice Chancellor through a communication to all staff and students directed staff to work from home and virtual learning as from 16th August to 26th August 2021. This decision was informed by a resolution made during the 27th Special Senate meeting held on 13th August 2021.
The decision made by Senate was as a result of a surge in respiratory complications from students and staff, where some staff were diagnosed Covid-19 positive.
A Special Senate Board meeting held on 25th August 2021 reviewed the Covid-19 situation. The following was noted during the Special Senate Board meeting;
- That the covid-19 situation in the country had worsened with Meru County numbered among the counties with full capacity admission of Covid-19 patients.
- That a number of staff were self-isolating as a result of covid-19 infection.
- That most of the staff and students had not received covid-19 vaccination due to limited government facilities as well as shortage of vaccination doses.
- That about 3,800 first years were expected to report on 6th September and about 7,000 continuing students on 12th September 2021.
- That a lot of physical interaction was expected during first year admission period, since the students are usually escorted by parents and guardians who are from all over the country.
Arising from the above observations, the following resolutions were made;
- That the work from home period and virtual learning be extended for a further 10 days.
- That staff resume physically on 9th September 2021.
- That examinations for the groups in session scheduled to start on 30th August 2021 be rescheduled to start on 13th September 2021.
- That first years report on 20th September 2021 instead of the scheduled date of 6th September 2021.
- That the Deans Committee meets to revise reporting dates for continuing students.
- That during the extended ‘work from home’ period all staff and students should ensure they get vaccinated.
- That fumigation of all facilities in the University be carried out twice a week (Wednesdays and Sundays).
- That all covid-19 protocols be observed.